Integrated care improves patient care by focusing on transitions into and out of the healthcare system, and coordination of care.
Integrated care is a coordinated approach to care that brings together providers from different specialties, including primary and community care, to collaborate on a person’s care for as long as it is needed. Each member of the team understands his or her role and the roles of the other team members.
The Integrated Care Approach
- Person-Centred – Care is designed with the patient and family to achieve best outcomes.
- Collaborative – Inter-professional teams work together to provide personalized care with each patient.
- Continuous – Providers plan and navigate with the patient and family over time to address their changing needs.
- Continually improve patient outcomes and experiences through partnerships
- Implement integrated patient care for patients with complex needs
- Implement integrated models for palliative care in cancer centres and primary care
- Implement integrated models for palliative and end of life care for renal patients and families
- Develop and implement a model for chemotherapy delivered in the home to ensure consistency in access and quality
- Develop an integrated care planning model and process targeting complex cancer patients
|2016||Cost trajectories for cancer patients||Wodchis WP, Arthurs E, Khan AI, Gandhi S, MacKinnon M, Sussman J.||Curr Oncol. 2016 Feb;23(Suppl 1):S64-75. doi: 10.3747/co.23.2995. Epub 2016 Feb 29. PubMed PMID: 26985150; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4780583.||Cancer|
|2016||A multi-method review of home-based chemotherapy||Evans JM, Qiu M, MacKinnon M, Green E, Peterson K, Kaizer L.||Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2016 Sep;25(5):883-902. doi: 10.1111/ecc.12408. Epub 2015 Nov 6. Review. PubMed PMID: 26545409.||Cancer|
|2016||Integrating cancer care beyond the hospital and across the cancer pathway: a patient-centred approach||Evans JM, Matheson G, Buchman S, MacKinnon M, Meertens E, Ross J, Johal H.||Healthc Q. 2015;17 Spec No:28-32. PubMed PMID: 25562131.||Cancer|